Urinary frequency is a genitourinary disorder that presents problems for adults across the
lifespan. It can be the result of various systemic disorders such as diabetes, urinary tract
infections, enlarged prostates, kidney infections, or prostate cancer. Many of these disorders
have very serious implications requiring thorough patient evaluations. When evaluating patients,
it is essential to carefully assess the patient’s personal, medical, and family history prior to
recommending certain physical exams and diagnostic testing, as sometimes the benefits of
these exams do not outweigh the risks. In this Discussion, you examine a case study of a patient
presenting with urinary frequency. Based on the provided patient information, how would you diagnose and treat the patient?
Case Study 2
This is a 40 year old Hindu married male complaining of sudden high grade fever for the last 2
days. He is complaining of right flank pain with some burning on urination. PMH: diabetes, HTN.
Current meds: metformin 500mg bid, Lisinopril 10mg QD
• Review Part 13 and 17 of the Buttaro et al. text in this week’s Resources.
• You will either select or be assigned to a patient case study for this Discussion.
• Review the patient case study and reflect on the information provided about the patient.
• Think about the personal, medical, and family history you need to obtain from the patient in the
case study. Reflect on what questions you might ask during an evaluation.
• Consider types of physical exams and diagnostics that might be appropriate for evaluation of
the patient in the study.
• Reflect on a possible diagnosis for the patient.
• Review the Marroquin article in this week’s Resources. If you suspect prostate cancer, consider
whether or not you would recommend a biopsy.
• Think about potential treatment options for the patient.
Post an explanation of the primary diagnosis, as well as 3 differential diagnoses, for the patient in
the case study that you selected or were assigned. Describe the role the patient history and physical exam played in the diagnosis. Then, suggest potential treatment options based on your
Response to the discussion question is reflective with critical analysis and synthesis
representative of knowledge gained from the course readings for the module and current credible
Outstanding Performance 44 (44%) – 44 (44%)
Thoroughly responds to the discussion question(s)
is reflective with critical analysis and synthesis representative of knowledge gained from the
course readings for the module and current credible sources.
supported by at least 3 current, credible sources
Outstanding Performance 6 (6%) – 6 (6%)
Written clearly and concisely
Contains no grammatical or spelling errors
Fully adheres to current APA manual writing rules and style
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!