PICOT intervention question
The PICOT format for this course is an intervention question. The interventions must be
nursing interventions and not medical. No duplicate PICOT questions.
Step one (1) of the evidence-base practice (EBP) process is to formulate a burning PICOT
question. (Chosen PICOT question at bottom)
Step two searches for the best evidence by considering the elements of the PICOT question.
Students will develop a scholarly paper utilizing the American Psychological Association
(APA) 6th edition format and include the following criteria.
Assignment Criteria:1. Describe the clinical or administrative problem related to the PICOT
question formulated and approved in Week 1.
Formulate the PICOT question in the intervention format
Discuss why the problem is important to nursing practice
Discuss the chosen intervention
Elaborate on how the intervention impacts the stated outcome
2. Discuss two (2) barriers that a master’s prepared nurse might encounter before
implementing the intervention.
3. Explore two (2) possible actions that can be used for handling those barriers.
4. Identify two (2) explicit inclusion criteria and two (2) inclusion criteria to be used in the
analysis of the evidence
5. Identify the databases (e.g., CINAHL, Medline) and key terms used in initiating the search.
6. The scholarly paper should be in narrative format, four (4) to five (5) pages excluding the
title and reference pages.
7. Include an introductory paragraph, purpose statement, and a conclusion.
8. Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
9. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a
scholarly manner. To clarify: I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing
yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used.
10. Include a minimum of three (3) references from professional peer-reviewed nursing
journals to support the paper. References should be from scholarly peer-reviewed journals
(review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
11. APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and
12. Submit the assignment to Turnitin prior to the final submission. Please be sure to rethe originality report and make any needed changes.
Patient-centered PICOT question:
In adult patients hospitalized in a long-term acute care hospital, how does the use of a nursedriven protocol for evaluating the appropriateness of short-term urinary catheter continuation
or removal compared to no protocol affect the number of catheter days and CAUTI rates over
a six-month intervention period?
The population of interest:
-Health care teams working in LTAC facilities
-Patients who receive care in these facilities
– Determining the effectiveness of a nurse-driven protocol
– Compare the use of protocol VS no protocol when evaluating CAUTI rates.
-Providing safer patient outcomes and improving the health of the population
-Reducing the per capita cost of healthcare
-Reducing hospitalization time.
-This research will be evaluated over a six month period.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!