Legal and Ethical Principles in Healthcare (Case Study)
Read the case and answer the questions
|Q1– Give a brief outline of the case from a clinical perspective.
|Do not use any patient identifiers.
|Q2. Identify all the ethical and legal (if relevant) issues(s) of this case.
|Identify the key ethical principles or theories that could apply to this case e.g. autonomy/ justice.
Identify the key legal issues where relevant.
|Q3. Discuss the management of the case, from an ethical perspective, considering your own views and how you would deal with another similar case.
|Your answer should include the following if not already discussed above:
· Your first impressions of the case.
· A description of how the GP dealt with the case.
· Your view of the way the case was handled: strengths & weaknesses.
· Any ethically preferable way you consider the case could have been handled.
· Would you feel better equipped to deal with this case if it occurred again?
· What influences did this case have on your own attitude from religious/cultural contexts?
· Were you able to identify your own prejudices and limitations?