Hospice and Palliative Care (150-word min response)
In this week’s discussion you will share the hospice and palliative care resources available in your area. You will explore the referral process and what services are typically covered by hospice in the area where you live and will potentially practice as a human service professional. It is recommended that you call the facility and speak to staff directly but if that is not possible, their website can be used instead
Please respond to the following:
- Identify the hospice and/or palliative care resource you have selected. Include the location, phone number, website, and a brief reason why you selected this agency.
- What is the referral process of the agency?
- What is the criteria for receiving hospice care? Do they also provide palliative care?
- What does a hospice team look like in their agency (doctor, social worker, nurse, etc.)?
- Is this an area you see yourself working in? Why or why not?
PART 2: (125-word min response)
Pediatric conditions are often some of the most difficult cases to treat due to the complex emotional aspects, varying physical attributes between patients, and the degree of involvement from the family or support team. Therefore, it is always important to remain professional while providing consistent compassionate care. Each of the following diseases or disorders have varying dietary implications.
Please choose ONE disease/condition from below and briefly summarize medical aspects & common symptoms.
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down’s Syndrome
Then, address each of the following topics:
- Are there any weight issues associated with the disease/condition? What does the research say?
- Does the disease alter GI tract function (digestion or absorption)? What is recommended?
- What feeding or meal consumption challenges/ issues may exist in children with this condition? Recommendations? (may include theories here)
- Does the disease/condition alter overall calorie/protein requirements?
- Does the disease or condition raise the risk of other nutrition associated side effects or chronic diseases (i.e. diabetes, heart disease, alzheimers)? Can the risk be reduced?