Evaluating the Effectiveness of Current Fall Prevention Intervention of Veterans Hospital
The Capstone Research Project
Approval of the topic
Evaluating the effectiveness of current fall prevention intervention of veterans hospital
PICO/TS: your topic idea as a question
Population: adlt medical surgical patients
Intervention: re-enforcing staff communication and training tools for nurses and nurse
Comparison previous falls rate rates at different times
Question: Is the current fall prevention intervention in the VA medical-surgical unit effective?
Literature Review – common themes found in the literature
1. Look up your keywords.
2. Use databases to find periodical articles.
3. Critically analyze journals and websites.
4. Reference the literature by filling out the summary of the evidence table (SET)
5. Introduction to the literature review by restating the topic
6. Categorize topics according to
7. Courses you might use: Foundations of Online Learning and Evidence-Based Practice
Methodology – methods used in the literature reviewed, your methods
1. Introduction to the methodology by restating the topic – describe the best way to
answer your PICO/ST question
2. Explain your choice of the methodology (quantitative, qualitative, mix-methods) by
citing research from your literature review – methods used in the literature reviewed,
your methods – you will explain the intervention in detail here. Also, explain why you chose a certain methodology (i.e.) the staff is given a survey vs interviews will be
conducted vs a survey with short answer interviews will be used to collect data).
3. Describe the sample (population) and inclusion and exclusion criteria, place, procedure
(intervention in detail), data collection tools
4. Example supplied
5. Courses you might use: Evidence-Based Practice
Discussion – analysis of your project
1. State the major findings of the study
2. Explain the meaning of the findings and why the findings are important
3. Relate the Findings to Those of Similar Studies