Discussion about Cultural Health and Awareness. Cultural Competence.
Patient-centered Outcomes Research (PCOR). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Assigned Readings and Media
Must read and watch all of the following
Edberg, M. (2013). Essentials of health, culture and diversity: Understanding people, reducing disparities. In R. Riegelman (Ed.) Essential Public Health series. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 12 (pp. 159-162; stop at the section about the Kleinman/Benson Person-Centered Approach to Cultural Competence.)
Must also read:
Institute of Medicine 2002 Unequal treatment What health care system administrators need to know about racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare https://www.nap.edu/resource/10260/disparities_providers.pdf
Must also watch:
- What is cultural competence? [2:43]
CLASAlliance (2012, July 23). What is cultural competence and why is it important? Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTh3pe8N3DQ
Must also watch:
- Managing Your Prejudices [6:19] NOTE: there is a link to the 45-minute version of this presentation, if you are interested. Watching the full 45 minute presentation is optional.
Price-Wise, G. (2009, September 7). Cultural competence: Managing your prejudices. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MI_h0HIcw
Helpful resources for this assignment
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/education/curriculum-tools/shareddecisionmaking/tools/tool-7/index.html (Links to an external site.)
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has a number of resources on the topic of cultural competence. This link takes you to the SHARE Approach (there is a PDF version available on this site if you want to save it for your files, use it for your Reflection Paper, etc.). According to AHRQ, “the SHARE Approach is a 1-day training program developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to help health care professionals work with patients to make the best possible health care decisions. It supports shared decision-making through the use of patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR).
BELOW IS THE ASSIGNMENT
Week 13 Discussion
This week I want you to dig deep into the material and your own thoughts, attitudes and experiences as you prepare for and participate in this discussion board.
After completing the assigned readings (i.e., the chapter in the textbook and the report brief published by the Institute of Medicine), reviewing the web sites and watching the videos, respond to the following questions:
- Of the definitions of cultural competence described in the textbook (p. 160; Box 12-1) or in the video presented by CLASAlliance (2012), which one resonates with you? Why?
- What is your interpretation of the connection between cultural competence and the issue of health disparities?
- How do the CLAS Standards (textbook, p. 160-161; OMH web site) work to minimize the gap between cultural competence and the issue of health disparities? Be sure to use oneof the 14 Standards as an example in your response.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!